Firkin Around....
The Blog of King of Prussia Beer Outlet

Thursday, March 31, 2016

IPA Snapshot--White Birch DIPA

by Jack Horzempa

(I asked long-time, loyal customer Jack Horzempa to taste White Birch Brewing DIPA.  Jack is an accomplished home-brewer with an extensive knowledge of beer and brewing. He also has an experienced palate that is highly respected by all of us here at the beer store. He originally posted this write up on the New Beer Sunday thread on Beer Advocate.  It is posted here with his permission.)


I have a few quick caveats to get out of the way. Firstly I have never heard of White Birch Brewing before so this will be a new experience for me. Secondly I am typically not a fan of the DIPA beer style since more often than not these sorts of beers have a cloying sweetness to them which is not particularly appealing to me. When I am in a mood for hoppy beer I generally reach for an IPA and on some occasions an APA.


I will start off with a short description of White Birch brewing to educate myself (and you
folks as well). It is a small brewery in Hookett, New Hampshire started in 2009 by what appears to be a husband & wife team. I tried to find the size of the brewhouse (how many barrels) but I was not successful.

A description of the DIPA from their website:

“Double IPA

style: Double India Pale Ale
abv: 9.2%
color: Golden
available: year round

Double IPA started out as a growler only release at the brewery. When word got out that we were brewing a balanced, hop forward big IPA requests for a keg or bottle came in from all corners

Pungent aromas of citrus and fruit with a smooth hop bitterness and finish balanced with a soft malt body. This deceptively smooth beer has a hop flavor that grows over the course of a glass. It’s almost too easy to enjoy. This is the beer that makes me a hop fan. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Best when fresh, this dry hopped, unfiltered beauty is not a beer for extended aging. Cheers, Bill”

Well it sure does read nice but let’s see what is in in the can.

Served in my Spiegelau IPA glass:

Appearance:

Pours a hazy orange with a very thin white head which dissipates very quickly.

Aroma:

Combination of citrus & floral hop aroma with just a tiny bit of caramel malt aroma.

Taste:

The flavor follows the nose with citrus & floral hop flavor dominating but with some caramel malt flavor as well. On the backend there is just a tiny bit of pine/resin flavor.

Mouthfeel:

Thin-medium bodied with light carbonation. Finishes dry.

Overall:

A pleasant DIPA. Surprisingly at 9.2% ABV there is no alcohol flavor perceptible. There is a bit of sweetness but the beer was by no means cloying to my palate.

A disappointment for me is that there is no dates on this can (e.g., a canned on date). I personally would not purchase this beer without a date.

Cheers!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment