Firkin Around....
The Blog of King of Prussia Beer Outlet

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Winter of Pilsners: Highland Pilsner Review

by Jack Horzempa 
originally posted on Beer Advocate


Today I have another installment for my series of Winter Pilsners: Highland Pilsner*.

I was gifted this beer by a good friend over the holiday season. I have never heard of Highland Brewery so I am very excited to try this beer.

I did some research on this brewery and I thought others might be interested in knowing about it too:

“Highland Brewing Company has crafted the highest quality beer with North Carolina mountain water since 1994. Family-owned and Asheville’s first legal brewery since Prohibition, it is a favorite destination for beer fans, music fans, and families. From the balanced, food-pairing favorite Gaelic Ale, to the tad aggressive, fruit and pine hop-burst of Highland IPA, the portfolio always showcases quality. Highland’s name honors the Scots Irish who settled in the Appalachian Mountains in the 18th and 19th centuries. Come see us! Get a beer at Asheville's first legal brewery and learn what we believe in.”

I don’t know about you but the fact that the word “legal” was used twice in that paragraph sure got me thinking. I am aware that in the past (and even today) that making moonshine was popular in the Appalachian Mountain regions but maybe bootlegging beer was popular too? Hmm?


While the name of the brewery highlights their Gaelic ties they obviously make other beer styles since Highland Pilsner is certainly not a Gaelic related beer style.

On their website they describe Highland Pilsner:
[​IMG]

“A finely nuanced pilsner features German Hallertau Blanc hops and three other Hallertau region varietals. Saphir, Perle, and Hersbrucker hops add notes of stone fruit, pepper, and lush grass to the German pilsner malt body. Cold fermented with lager yeast for a crisp, dry finish.

ABV 5.5%

Hops Perle, Saphir, Hallertau Blanc, Hersbrucker

Grist Best Pils

IBU 35

Original gravity 11.9 Plato”

Through my homebrewing I have familiarity with some of the hops listed and I have brewed with Best Pilsner malt before (Bestmalz is a German Malting Company) so I am having very positive feelings about this beer.

So, what do you think? Can a Gaelic ‘connected’ brewery make a quality Pilsner beer? We shall see,

Served in a new Christmas present – Firestone Walker Pivo Pils glass

Appearance:

Light straw colored with a BIG white head.

Aroma:

The first think that hits my nose sweet Pilsner Malt aroma. There is also a hint of what I will term as ‘yeasty’ in the nose as well.

Taste:

The flavor pretty much follows the nose. There is notable breadiness from the Pilsner Malt. I am also picking up some herbal/spicy flavors from the hops. There is a firm bitterness here.

Mouthfeel:

Nicely carbonated, medium body with a dry finish.

Overall:

I really enjoyed drinking this beer. I found the flavors to be pleasant with an enjoyable balance between the Pilsner Malt flavors and hop flavors. In German this beer was süffig!

I have one other new Pilsner in my existing inventory and I have another locally produced Pilsner ‘on my radar screen’ for purchase. Stay tuned!!

*not yet available in Pennsylvania

Editor's Note:  Jack Horzempa is a longtime friend of the store. An extremely knowledgeable home brewer, brewing some of the best beer I have ever tasted. Jack's palate is well seasoned and he has been a valuable source of beer expertise to the store. He has graciously allowed us to repost his review/posts from Beer Advocate where he has achieved Poo-bah status. Since joining Beer Advocate 12 yrs ago, Jack has posted more than 20,000 times and earned over 25,000 likes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment